Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sperms don't make you better than me.

To those who are offended with the title of this post, I'm SORRY.

I grew up with 4 brothers. As a kid, I was a tomboy. Mom spent hundreds of dollars on fancy party dresses that I never wore. Each time we would want to go out as a family, I would put on my tshirt and jeans. Mom would stop me and tell me to change into one of my many dresses. I missed out on a lot of outings because I was left behind for not listening to mom.

I am 21. I have to ask my parents for permission when I want to cut my hair.

I went to an all girls' school and there was never a single day where I didn't have shorts on under my skirt. Feeling rebellious, I chopped my long hair off and came back from school with hair as short as my brothers'. Parents were none too happy.

I grew up feeling that women were not treated the same way as men. My brothers go out with friends and come back late, I come home a little late and my mobile would be ringing non stop. I wear eye liner, lipgloss and smell good...Parents ask "Who are you going out with?"
My brothers take ages to get ready, come out looking all handsome and smelling like they used a whole bottle of cologne. They exit the front door, no questions asked.

I come back home for holidays and I am expected to do the dishes, laundry, cook etc. I don't mean to sound like a spoilt brat but what's the maid for? I don't mind doing MY dishes and MY laundry and cooking MY own food but don't expect me to cook for my brothers. They are just as capable to do their own stuff.

It's not my fault that on some days, I am easily irritated. It's not my fault I was born with a uterus that bleeds monthly.

I put on a little weight and all the aunties and uncles start gossiping. As if THEIR weight never fluctuated...I wear makeup to a family gathering and suddenly they have all conjured up an imaginary australian white boyfriend.

Why do people have a different standard of nice for girls and boys?

And boys, they don't know what us ladies are worth. They don't treasure our fragile hearts. They forget we lack the testosterones that make THEM insensitive. Stop fooling around with girls, save yourself for the one you're meant to be with. I am sick of hearing about playboys. STI scares would do these playas some good.

I hate boys. I hate that I am treated differently because I don't have sperms. I can do what you do, given practice..except maybe pee standing up.

8 comments:

Malekat_el7oriya said...

ohhhhhh lollll. i loved that last line. "I can do everything you can do except pee standing up" lol. sorry. No but seriously, I feel that alot too. It's really not fair! i mean would it be too much if my borther helped cook once? Or fold laundry? But noo...that doesn't happen! They can just waltz out the door, doing whatever (cuz u gotta leave em alone they're MEN now) and coming back at night. Is that really fair? I mean i hate the double standards! A long time ago I used to blame it on Islam, but i found out how wrong i was later on. I mean it's culture! I mean the boy was raised seeing his mom cooking and doing the work, while the dad was sitting around watching t.v. and even with some cultures, when a woman is pregenant and people are visiting her they're like "OMG! let's hope it's a son!"
But that is so unfair! Girls/women DESERVE BETTER! lol.

xoxo, nadia said...

YEAH GIRL POWERRRR!!!

It's definitely a culture thing..but my dad helps around the house so I don't know why my brothers get away with almost everything.

The surprising thing is my elder brother is really good at baking. Everyone is still talking about his strawberry jam muffins, even though its been years since he baked them!

If a girl wears something a little tight, with hijab on...shes a pseudo hijabi/slut...If a guy wears a tight tshirt, showing off his abs, he's MACHO.
Pfffft

Asha said...

Oh dang yes, I don't understand why they don't have to do much. Actually my mom made sure all of us helped out in the family but somehow when we grew up, bro did not have to do anything.

But I am not complaining since he is so sweet now. Like I said, I might just get diabetes.

xoxo, nadia said...

LOL diabetes? Type 1 or type 2?

I think you'll be a whole new type of diabetes.

Okay I am lame.

Good for you, your brother has grown up (: Now I am waiting for mine to do the same.

Almas Kiran Shamim said...

Assalam sister...
this is a too good post!! :D :D :D
ya... boys always get the upper hand.. God alone knows why!!!
i recently read a blogpost by a sister bout female infanticide in China.... Being an Indian, i know bout it all too well...
ppl seem to be crazy bout male children... weder a fetus weder a fully walkin talkin human...
i din know a mere 'standin pee' gut make such a huge positive impression :D :D :D

xoxo, nadia said...

Wasalam Sister.

Yes, female infanticide is indeed still a huge problem.

Alhamdulillah, my grandmother escaped this meaningless and evil practice as she was given away immediately at birth by her Chinese biological parents to an Indian muslim family.

Also, i think peeing standing up is makruh? not too sure about this.

Almas Kiran Shamim said...

o ya... it's makruh...
i didnt mean to say twas 'good' truly...

and hey .. so ur grandma was Chinese brought up by Indian Muslim parents ...?????? wow!!

Yasemin said...

Mashallah this post spoke to me so much! Sister, I'm REALLY sorry for being a stranger here the last few days. I've been struggling with husband a lot and he didn't come home last night.

There are different rules for girls and boys, and this even pervades American culture. Our brother even had sex but it was ok compared to me and Heather.

So I think it definitely isn't just the culture or religion at all. And as hard as it is to be a girl in a house with all boys, I know your glad you weren't a boy! At least I know I am! I don't want to have to be the breadwinner and take care of the family. As easy as they have it now seemingly, it's going to get much harder when their wives order them aroud :)

I love you so dearly Nadia!