Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Reverts

My brother and I have both (in these recent months) been in close contact with new reverts.

I don't have much to say about the revert that I am trying to help because it's a little complicated at the moment and I'll just let things progress slowly. But let me tell you about my brother's friend.

He was a sikh and so are his parents. He converted to christianity but it still didnt feel right. Finally, he found Islam, through 2 very good friends. Only 20, he has had to hide his conversion (both times) from his family.

Already, they are getting suspicious because he has stopped drinking alcohol and eating pork. He is looking at places where he can get his tattoo removed at a cheap price. My brother has found a mosque that actually provides subsidies for this very cause so InshaAllah, he will get to have that tattoo removed.

Every day at work, he will follow my brother home and pray during the lunch break. He does not want anyone to know of his conversion. Even my brother found out by chance ...he happened to see this boy praying at a masjid.

This boy is disgusted with the way the other muslim boys at work act, especially the fact that they don't pray. He also said that the boys are guilty of using religion to gain sympathy..ie. During Ramadhan they ask for less work load. On Fridays, they ask to be let off early for Jummah, but nope, theyre not really going for Jummah.

I can't imagine what it must be like for him. Only 20 and keeping his conversion to Islam a secret from everyone. I can't imagine what it must be like for ANY revert.

Make du'a for this new brother. He's a nice boy and let's hope that when he tells his parents, they will accept him with open minds, loving hearts and embracing arms.

6 comments:

Saafir said...

Salam Aleikum Nadia,

Surely I'll pray Dua for him
....Insha'Allah

Malekat_el7oriya said...

"let's hope that when he tells his parents, they will accept him with open minds, loving hearts and embracing arms." Ameen!!!! i think there should be more muslims like him in the world. A revert and obviously better than most other muslims. Mashallah! Ihope things go well with him and i will keep making duaa.

Almas Kiran Shamim said...

Assalam Nads...
wow!! it's the first Sikh revert story i've heard... Alhamdulillah!
i too keep wondering how.. how.. how.. do reverts manage to do it!! it must be taking tonnes and tonnes of courage ... isnt it???? i cant even leave music... and they change their whole way of life....
the best part.. they have their sins forgiven.... now think.. the same boy.. after 1 yr.. wud be 21.. and have 1 yr record of sins... and a Muslim 21 yr old will have 21 yrs record of sin... :( :( :(
i mean im grateful to be born as a Muslim.. but i wish i cud be forgiven like that!!!!

xoxo, nadia said...

Alaykum Assalam Brother Saafir

Thank you.

xoxo, nadia said...

I know, he's a new muslim and he acts better than alot of his muslim friends. My brother speaks highly of this boy. Thank you for your du'as for him.

xoxo, nadia said...

Wassalam Almas.

It's the first Sikh revert story for me too! It must be so hard for these young reverts, to not have the support of their family and even friends. In fact, they will even lose friends because now they've stopped doing things like going out to drink etc.

I get it about the sins part. Still, I am grateful to be born Muslim because who knows? If I wasnt born Muslim, I would perhaps not ever find Islam...

I was born into Islam. Alhamdulillah.