Monday, April 27, 2009

Babe: Pig in the City

Yesterday, I read Google News and I read the words 'SWINE FLU'.

I don't know about you but everytime I see the word 'FLU', I imagine lots of sneezing, runny noses and yucky snot. So, when I heard about the Avian flu a couple of years back, it was a little hard to imagine those cute little birds sneezing.

But with pigs, its a little easier to imagine them like that, what with a snout and everything :D

Ok back to being serious...

What is the swine influenza?
The swine influenza is caused by orthomyxoviruses that are endemic to pigs. Swine flu infects humans every year, especially those who come into close contact with pigs. However, cases of person to person transmission (through coughing, sneezing, touching of contaminated items) have been documented. The swine flu in humans is most contagious during the first 5 days of the illness (in children, up to 10 days).

What are the symptoms?
Fever, vomitting, stiffness, disorientation, loss of consciousness, may be fatal (very similar to the normal influenza).


What does the Quran say about swines?
“He has forbidden you only the dead animals, and blood, and the flesh of swine…” [al-Baqarah 2:173]

“Forbidden to you (for food) are: Al-Maitah (the dead animals — cattle — beast not slaughtered), blood, the flesh of swine[al-Maa’idah 5:3]


“Say (O Muhammad): ‘I find not in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be Maitah (a dead animal) or blood poured forth (by slaughtering or the like), or the flesh of swine (pork); for that surely, is impure…”[al-An’aam 6:145]


There have been questions raised as to WHY Allah (SWT) has forbidden the consumption of the meat of the swine. Is it because it is unhealthy? Or is it because it is dirty? Spiritually dirty or physically dirty? Is it because it has no neck and therefore cannot be slaughtered in the Islamic way? Is it because the pig's digestive system works quickly and thus does not get rid of toxins that it eats effectively?

The Quran says:

“It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed into a plain error”
[al-Ahzaab 33:36]

“The only saying of the faithful believers, when they are called to Allah (His Words, the Qur’aan) and His Messenger, to judge between them, is that they say: ‘We hear and we obey.’ And such are the successful (who will live forever in Paradise)”

[al-Noor 24:51]

The Bible says:

Leviticus 11:7-8 "And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you. Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you."

"Of their flesh shall you not eat, nor touch their dead carcass." (Deut., 14:8)

"I have spread out my hands all the day unto a rebellious people who eat swine's flesh and broth of abominable things is in their vessels." (Isa., 65:2,3,4)



The next time someone asks me why I don't eat pork, I will not bother giving them reasons as to WHY Allah(swt) forbade the consumption of pork because just look, there are so many reasons right now as to why we shouldn't be eating pork. Some are scientifically proven and some have yet to be proven. However, one reason is more than sufficient and that reason is that Allah(swt) forbade it, and I will not doubt nor question for I am a believer.

4 comments:

Malekat_el7oriya said...

wow! great post sis!! i loved how you gave the proof from different surahs in the Quran. Very very well written post and super convincing!

Yasemin said...

Love the monkey's! They look adorable sweetie. This swine flu thing makes me glad I've always stayed away from everything pig for 10 years. I love your reasoning, too bad these sick people couldn't have seen it before they took the plunge. Love you!

xoxo, nadia said...

Dear Malekat,
Thank you (: I added the bit from the Bible too, maybe next time I will look for something in the Torah. I don't actually mind it when non Muslims ask me why I dont eat pork.
It's just that it gets very complicated when they ask why some Muslims drink alcohol but STILL DON'T eat pork.
How would I know right? Maybe because the pig (ie. Wilbur/Babe) looks too cute to be eaten? Lol

xoxo, nadia said...

Awww, I love the monkeys too they are so adorable. MashaAllah Lisa, it's been 10 years that you've stopped eating it.
Kinda makes me think that it's possible to give up junk food :D
I have a Christian friend, whose dad is a pastor...she was very reluctant to move in with me as she would miss her bacon too much. I believe the new testament made it ok to eat pork?
I cant remember who it was that had the dream but apparently the dream went something like 'Don't call anything God has created for you unclean...'
So that's why most Christians eat pork now.
But, I've heard from them that it tastes just like chicken. And that turkey bacon tastes just like pork bacon. So I say, WHY NOT SWITCH??!!