Thursday, May 28, 2009

Moderate Mainstream Muslims

Are you an MMM?

Here's a checklist to help you decide if you're an MMM:

1) You don't pray 5 times a day.

2) You eat anywhere, as long as it's not pork.

3) You have an 'English' name.

4) You are a social drinker.

5) You enjoy clubbing on the weekends.

6) Girls: The school uniform is a blouse and skirt. You make sure your skirt is at least 5 inches above your knee. Guys: Tight shirts, shorts and a bottle of cologne.

7) You don't fast during Ramadan. You're not ready for it yet. But you celebrate Eid like everyone else.

8) Every Friday, you leave office early. As the others head to masjids for Jummah, you go for lunch.

9) You believe in Darwin's Theory of Evolution.

10) You skip Tarawih to head to the nightly Ramadan Bazaar.

11) You skip Eid prayers to get ready and look nice in your Eid clothes.

12) Before you are married, you take wedding pictures with your spouse. You think it's ok to take hijab off and pose with your cheek touching his.

13) You think anyone mentioning 'Free Palestine' is a radical Muslim.

14) The only time you ever entered a Masjid was during a school trip.

15) You like being called a Moderate Muslim.


BULL I TELL YA.
Is there such a thing as being a 'moderate muslim'? I'm sick of that term being used. Ya, compromise your religion so you can be MAINSTREAM. The government wants to reduce religious tension and coins up this derogatory term, encouraging muslims to take their religiousness down a notch so that it won't scare the non muslims. Give me a break. What a shame when I hear Muslims with political power spouting the same phrase. Ah, the things you do for power and cold hard cash.

A muslim who practices his Deen faithfully is NOT a radical Muslim. He is a GOOD muslim. A moderate mainstream muslim is just someone who wants to fit in among the non muslims.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree with everything in this post. [Stamp of approval]

Saafir said...

Salaam Aleikum

This world should not/never be worth our hustle.....praising and pleasing Allah the Creator(subhaana wa Ta'ala) should always be the top priority.

Jazaka'Allah Khair

xoxo, nadia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
xoxo, nadia said...

@ Anonymous: Thanks for the Stamp.

@ Saafir: Alaykum Assalam. Exactly, thanks for putting it so simply and beautifully. You summarised my entire post in 1 sentence!

Unknown said...

Meh, so many of these around in Malaysia, except that they don't drink and they haven't heard of the evolution theory.

xoxo, nadia said...

@ SirAdib.com: Schools in Malaysia dont teach the evolution theory during Science lessons? I just listened to 30 minutes of Darwin's Theory @__@

Just curious, but what stops them from drinking? Are there fines?

Unknown said...

I don't know I mean, I've never heard them talk about the evolution theory at all. And I think there are fines if you're caught drinking. If not, it'd be widespread already. Mind you that the Malays I meet are mostly from college and schools. On the other hand, it's totally different for the private international school that I go to. Mixed with different races and religion so you can expect a lot of stuff to happen.

cairo, lusaka, amsterdam said...

It's unfortunate that today the terms "moderate" and "extremist" have such negative connotations in Islam. Extremists hate moderates and moderates hate extremists. I think it's all up to interpretation. Some people think wearing the niqab is extreme. Some think not veiling is too moderate.

We should realize that all Muslims can't be the same: we all interpret the Qur'an differently and so will all practice differently. Of course there are basics that apply to all Muslims. But we should stop labeling other Muslims and just accept that religion is personal and we will all be judged in the end.

Funny post, I know a lot of people like that!

Yasemin said...

Oh my gosh I took one look at this list and thought apostate, apostate! I was shocked to read the title, Moderate Mainstream Muslims.

I fit the descripton to a tee especially about friday lunch and not Jummah.

This is an awesome post! Where did you find this sweetie, or did you make it up yourself? Love you!

Saafir said...

Are aware that the Catholics who were fighting for the right to use Allah's name in their scriptures was denied by the court?

Masha'Allah they lost

xoxo, nadia said...

@ Everyone: BRB, exam soon! leaving now.

@ Saafir: Sorry, couldn't resist responding to this one. I checked out what you said. They've been denied the permission to use the term 'Allah' until their appeal against the legality of the ban is heard on July 7th. They had previously petitioned to be able to use the term while awaiting the decision on the legality of the ban.
Thanks for sharing this update! (:

xoxo, nadia said...

@ SirAdib.com: I get what you mean. It's sad that a fine has to be imposed to stop Muslims from drinking. Is it true that shops selling alcohol are not allowed to sell to Muslims?
I think students at international schools can integrate without losing their religion/culture/values. Just a matter of whether they want to fit in and be like everyone else, or stand out and yet, be able to interact with others.

@cairo, lusaka, amsterdam: I heard this term first used by the government. It was coined by non muslims to term Muslims who practiced their religion faithfully. It was then adopted by non practicing Muslims and now they wear it like a proud label. They are not at all insulted to be labelled a Moderate, Mainstream Muslim. The niqab issue is one that is open to interpretation but I think such issues are rare. Many things are clear, for example the consumption of alcohol. You are right in saying that there are basics that need to be fulfilled to label oneself as Muslim.
And yet, now you can be a moderate mainstream muslim IF you ignore some of the basics that made you muslim in the first place.
Extremist is a term that I dislike because like you mentioned, it has negative connotations. There are good muslims, and there are bad muslims, just like in any other religion. But I dont ever hear of extremist catholics or moderate mainstream christians. I know people like this too, that's how I got the idea to write this post.

@ Lisa: We are gradually losing our Deen, to fit in with the crowd. Brother Saafir is right in saying that we should only set out to please Allah Almighty. This is difficult and perhaps, would be a personal jihad for many. Lol I said the 'J' word. Now they're going to think I'm an 'extremist'. I made it up myself by looking at people around me! (: Love ya too.

@ Everyone: my paper was so difficult but Alhamd Lellah it's over. Now I shall sleep :b

Aurangzeb said...

This is one lovely post! You've caught a moderate muslim at the neck!

Malekat_el7oriya said...

great post :P can't add anything more to it :) everyone already made great comments i love your posts nadia! you rock!

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm an extremist then.

xoxo, nadia said...

@ Aurangzeb: With a noose around the neck? Haha, thanks. Great seeing you here!

@ Malekat: Awww how sweet. I love reading your posts too! Update, update!

@ Anonymous: 'Extremist' in a non muslim's/ moderate muslim's eyes.

Hajar Alwi said...

Acute observations, alas a sad disclosure.

xoxo, nadia said...

@ Hajar: ): I know...I wish it wasnt true but I see this in my friends.

Anonymous said...

I disagree on the English name thing.
What about western Muslims who dont have Middle eastern or Asian roots? Sure there are a lot of blond haired, blue eyed Mohammeds and Fatimahs running around but what about those who were named non-relkigious western sounding names? I know many Iranian girls named traditional Persian names who are religious Muslims and Indian girls named traditional Indian names who are religious muslims?
Your name doesnt make you Muslim, its what you believe.

I take offense though with Muslims who have the name of Mohammed or Ali or Zayneb who then goes and changes their name to sound less "foreign"...but because you have a western name, doesnt make you a MMM!

And what about converts? Why should a convert who doesnt have an overtly religious name change their name? Those who wanna remain Sophie should do so, or Nicole should do so!

So on that front, I disagree.

One can be a religious, practicing Muslim and be named Nicole or Samantha or Tom or Bob,