One of my previous posts showed statistical miracles in the Quran. Most of you would probably have gone "wow, that's cool" (I'm assuming here, please correct me if I am wrong) but someone shared with me a different perspective on the issue.
Angels & Demons is out in the theatres right now in Perth but I don't think I will be going to watch it. Movies based on books are always of a great disappointment to me.
Anyways, can Science and Religion co exist? I believe the answer is Yes.
But what about trying to find evidence of science IN religion?
Here is a different perspective on the issue(in dot points)...(I did not get permission to reproduce this perspective so yeah, I don't think the person minds though and yeah, I added some things on my own):
-Scientific theories are produced by Man.
-Thus, prone to error?
-Many scientific theories are now being disputed.
-Hence the danger of trying to find science in religion OR trying to say Look here, my theory is in the Quran therefore it MUST be right OR trying to translate the words of the Quran to fit the scientific theory.
-The Quran is a miracle in itself.
-Not written by Man.
-PERFECT, NO ERRORS.
-100 years from now, if a scientific theory 'found' in the Quran is disputed, does that mean the Quran is wrong?
-You can argue that the scientist translated the Quran erroneously but, it still casts the Quran in a not so good light to the disbelievers.
-There was a scientist/professor who proclaimed "There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is his messengers" based on a single ayah in the Quran. I have previously posted it, the ayah that scientists/ various religious speakers have said proves the existence of pain receptors in the skin because in the Quran it says that the skin of the people in Hell will be replaced so that they may feel the punishment again.
-What if 1000 years from now, scientists discover that pain receptors in the skin aren't actually responsible for sensation of pain?
Thoughts? Comments? Opinions?
Friday, May 22, 2009
Angels & Demons: Science in the Quran
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Go and see it! *nudges*
Really? Is it worthwhile? I heard the first half hour is a drag ):
Maybe next week InshaAllah.
Wow! this person sounds like an intelligent person. I agree with him/her. :)
@ Anonymous: Yeah, intelligent.
:D
I think I know who you are... but I'm not too sure.
Salaam Aleikum,
Movies:Movies made by the Kufars are not worth watching especially if the movie is based on religion...I mean Kufars do not have any belief at all that is stable, The truth is always bend to fit the Movie plot and the budget of the movie, in my opinion...do not watch it, coz you will be like, "That is not true, there are no Demons, it's Angels and Evil Jinns", "Angels do not have free will", "Shaytwan is not a fallen angel, iblis is a jinn!!!"...u get my point
Science:Whenever a scientific discovery is made, the discovery should pass the Falsify Test...I mean the theory should be able to be falsifiable, if not it's rejected.
So, how many theories would they reject from the Qur'an, for instance, "the World will come to an end?" or "The sun will rise from the West to mark the Hour?"
Jazaka'Allah Khair for the nice post
Alaykum Assalam
@ Movies: You know, a long time back when Da Vinci Code first became famous, I had alot of people telling me NOT to read it, because I might get influenced. I read it, only because I like mysteries and action in a book. The plot of the books are of course too far out. I don't think any movie is worth my AUD14 to go and watch in the theatres!
I've made up my mind not to watch it...
Besides, movies based on books always have some scenes that are different and I am the kind who will protest out loud. I might get thrown out of the theatre.
@ Science: Falsify test? I will read up on that. I think you misunderstood what I was trying to convey in the post.
The 2 examples that you used are words from the Quran and not scientific theories. What I meant was scientists trying to find religion in science.
For example, my new theory is that gravity is not in fact responsible for weight. I discover that UV light is actually responsible for weight and the theory passed the Falsify test.
Then, I read the Quran and I find an ayah that could mean sunlight plays a part in weight. Or, I translate an ayah differently such that it fits into my theory.
So, everyone goes Aaah, there IS Science in Religion after all. My amazing theory causes people all over the world to come to realise the wonders of the Quran that some of them even revert to Islam.
15 years after my discovery, a new big shot scientist disproves my theory using new technology that weren't available to me during my course of research...UV light was not responsible for weight. Clouds are responsible for weight.
What happens? People who believed my theory will be ??!! Disbelievers will say an ayah in the Quran just got disproved. Your Quran has errors! etc etc etc
Leads to all kinds of problems.
well, this is not really my view...I am kind of sitting on the fence on this question. I am just explaining what the other perspective on this issue is.
Sorry for my really long reply, but I am prone to writing more when I read long comments (:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this one.
Jazak Allah Khair.
Salaam nadi,
As for the movie, when Harry Potter came out, people protested because it contradicts their Christian beliefs (because of magics? Well, people basically were against watching it). I think there is nothing wrong in watching movies that firstly, does not contradict our beliefs (e.g. I wouldn't watch movies like Fitna by Geert Wilders for example because to me, they are trying to put Islam in a bad light).
Although, it was made by a kufaar, it shouldn't affect us in such a way that it will be detrimental to our imaan. If it does, then best to avoid those movies at all cost..
But I get your point Bro Saafir.. We should watch something which will bring us benefits and strengthen our faith. There are many lectures on the internet (and they are free!) to watch and that would be time well spent definitely..
As for the Science part, I have full conviction in my heart that Islam is the true religion and Quran is the word of God, thus, no matter what scientists may say about their findings 10/100 years down the road, I believe that whatever that was written in the Quran to be true.
Who should we believe- Man who has the ability to err or God who has shown us all His signs? For example, Darwin's theory was supported by some scientists, but do we still believe in it? We don't because Allah has presented us with proofs in the Quran that we did not come from Apes.
Thus, I think it is important that we build up our imaan so that when we are presented with such scientific proofs, it will not shake our beliefs one bit.
Alaykum Assalam Asha
I agree with what you said about movies. As long as it doesn't contradict our beliefs then I see nothing wrong with watching the movie.
Watching a movie that has an underlying message against Islam however, would be a bad movie to watch because our attendance in the theatres would make it seem as though we support the kuffars' ideas about Islam.
I believe and you "believe with full conviction" in our hearts about Islam being the One true religion.
If a scientific theory that supposedly has proof in the Quran is disputed 10 years from now, both you and I know that we will still be Muslim, and we will still know that Allah is the Only God and Muhammad is His messenger.
But like you said how we should avoid movies that might rattle our iman just a little bit, then we should perhaps try to keep Science and Religion apart. It would be fair to say that Science and Religion CAN co exist but we should not be basing our belief in Islam alone purely based on the fact that there are scientific proofs in the Quran. I'm not talking about you or me right here, I'm talking about those who feel that the Quran is the word of Allah because its contents contain science that took scientists 1000 years to figure out.
We don't want to cast any doubt about the contents of the Quran and the fact that it is the word of Allah.
Maybe we just need to take a little extra precautions.
Thanks for sharing your opinion on this one.
Jazak Allah Khair.
Salaam Aleikum,
I agree with what Asha said...but we cannot separate Science from the Qur'an
The Qur'an is correct and it is explaining everything that we know or don't know.
The Qur'an cannot be disapproved 10 or +100 years to come since it is the True Word of Allah(subhana wa Ta'ala)
It is like both of you said humans is to err
Jazaka'Allah Khair
Salaam Alaykum wrb,
I share the same sentiments as Brother Saafir. We cannot separate Science from the Quran because it is an integral part of it.
However, Muslims do not rely only on the Science in the Quran to believe that it is the word of God. For example, stories that we read in the Quran about Pharaoh, or about Lut population.. archeologists have discovered evidences that those stories are parallel to what we read in the Quran.
Also, one of the 5 pillars of faith is that we believe in Judgement Day.. The signs of the Judgement Day have been prophesised about 1500 years ago in the hadith and it is already happening today. How is that possible if not for Divine intervention..?
So, like you were saying, if some crazy scientists were to present facts that are different from in the Quran, then at least we have other evidences that can confirm our beliefs in. BUT, I would definitely argue that it will not happen and if it does happen, then there must be fallacies in their theories.
Alaykum Assalam.
Science 0 - Religion 1
Maybe I'm just not explaining the alternative perspective properly.
It made sense when I heard it. I will try to get the person to explain it here maybe.
Noone here is disagreeing that the Quran is indeed perfect and IF a scientific theory is disproved then indeed, as Asha pointed out, the theory is erroneous and NOT the Quran.
Muslims know this. We don't have to see to believe. We have faith and Judgment Day is something that we know will happen.
For example, one of the signs of the impending Judgment Day would be the sun rising from the opposite direction (mentioned by Brother Saafir). This fact has NOT been proven by Science. It is something Muslims believe in without the need for Science.
However, scientists the world over would probably tell you its impossible for the Sun to rise from the West.
The problem here is using Science in the Quran to prove that Islam is the One true religion. If someone needs hard cold facts to believe in the Quran, it would be difficult for them to comprehend and believe in the non-scientific issues/signs in the Quran.
Trying to use Math, equations and numbers to explain something as perfect as the Quran would not do the Quran justice.
Post a Comment