Monday, May 25, 2009

ALLAH: Just a word or more than that?

Watch: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8065597.stm
(this video shows the priest leading his congregation in prayer)

In Malaysia, a catholic church is fighting for the right to use the word Allah in their prayers and bible. The Malaysian government has previously banned the church from using the term however they have gone against the ban and are now pursuing the matter in court.

The Malaysian government's main concern is that the church might confuse Muslims, especially those living in rural areas and that the church will try to propagate their religion.

I don't think they should be allowed to use that word because there are other words they can use such as Tuhan which is malay for God. Allah is primarily used by Muslims so I don't see why the church would all of a sudden want to be like the muslims.

Personally, I feel that they are just trying to stir up trouble, create religious tension.


What do you think? Should the catholic church be allowed to use the term 'Allah' ?

17 comments:

ellen557 said...

I don't see why not?
Like in Arabic countries, many Christian communities use the word Allah for God as it is the actual arabic word.
If the majority of the country uses Allah, then it would probably be easier for Christians to do the same.

Many reverts to Islam call Allah "God" here, I don't think that that creates a problem so of course the other way around can work.
Hm. Food for thought :)

xoxo, nadia said...

Hi! Thanks for sharing your opinion on this one. I agree that using the same term makes it a whole lot easier for everyone.

You mentioned that in arabic countries, many christian communities use the word Allah for God. However, I believe this is not the case for many South East Asian countries.

This issue is a pretty big deal in Malaysia. Let's see what the court will decide.

Unknown said...

I believe that if they want to use Allah to address our Creator, then I agree that they may use it. But if they go so far as to saying that Jesus is Allah, thats when I am totally against it.

Why do you think the non-muslim pagan Arabs could not say La ILAHA il ALLAH?
( No diety worthy of worship but Allah)

They called their idols their Ilaah, but Allah was something that they totally understood to be the Creator of mankind, the Unseen.

ellen557 said...

Yah, it's understandable in South East Asian countries (not using the word), but I still don't think it needs to be banned.
Being a Christian, I don't get offended if a Muslim uses the word God and says something that I don't agree with. Just as I would expect a Muslim to not be offended if I said "Allah" to mean God in a Muslim country.
It's just a bit exclusive to me *shrug*

I don't know. I'm just a massive hippie leftie so whenever you see my opinions, keep that in mind :P

xoxo, nadia said...

@ SirAdib.com: Good point, I now have changed my mind and also think its alright if they use the term Allah to mean Creator.
But then again, to them the Creator is part of the holy trinity. So when they use the term Allah, doesn't that include Allah in the holy trinity?

Jazak Allah Khair for sharing your opinion.

@ ellen557: I agree that banning the use of the word was not the right thing to do. I use God when talking about Allah to my non muslim friends but they have never used the word Allah when referring to God while talking to me. This is why I was initially against non muslims using the term, it was just completely new to me. But after reading your reasons and SirAdib.com's reasons, I believe as long as the word is not used in an offensive way, its perfectly fine to use Allah. Thanks again for explaining your thoughts. And no worries, I'm open to everyone's thoughts, I respect them although sometimes I might come off sounding a little defensive :b

Unknown said...

Its what open comments should be for. =P

The idea of Allah being part of a holy trinity is another subject to be discussed. Like how people believe in shirk such as saying Allah is in every creation and is physically everywhere. Both ideas are shirk. As long as they understand the difference between an ilaah and Allah and use it accordingly, it should be fine.

ellen557 said...

Just a side comment: whenever I visit this blog, I think of cheesecake. I don't know what you've done to me :( Like I want to comment about this, but all I can see are dancing cheesecakes in my head.

xoxo, nadia said...

@ SirAdib.com: Alrightey, thanks for answering my question and clarifying your point.

@ ellen557: HAHA I never thought my blog would be associated with cheesecake, dancing ones at that. Maybe those visions will stop when you make your own cheesecake too!

Saafir said...

Salaam Aleikum

I'm against it as it will be used to their advantage by making Muslims appear like shirks

xoxo, nadia said...

Alaykum Assalam Saafir

What do you mean they will make muslims appear like shirks? Could you please clarify that statement? I'm sure all of us would like to hear someone explain the other side of the argument.

I was on your side at first but now I have changed your mind.

Maybe you can change it again?

Jazak Allah Khair

Saafir said...

Sorry I didn't explain ma' self

Well of course the ones asking for the right to use Allah's name in their practices are kufrs.

My thought is that a non-believer or any other person with no knowledge of Islam will be compelled to think that Muslims are Xtians or they worship another ilaha apart from Allah...and of course Xtians refer Isa(`alayhis salam) as their Ilaha (Astaghfirullah)

Malekat_el7oriya said...

i agree with siradib, i think it's ok to use the name of Allah, as long as they're referring to the creator, or just God, and not having the word Allah mean jesus or something.

Yasemin said...

I think it's okay. They need to be very careful not to denigrate Muslims with their use of the word, but perhaps this can bridge our differences. Ellen, I picture cheesecake too! Kiwi lime cheesecake to be exact :) Maybe it's the yellow background :) Love you Nadia, I'll email you sweetie.

xoxo, nadia said...

@ Saafir: I get it now, thanks for clearing it up.

@ Malekat: That's what I think is ok too. Missed seeing ya comments here girl!

@ Lisa: Thanks for sharing your opinion. Oh the picture of the kiwi cheesecake was so long ago! (: love ya too Lisa.

Asha said...

I agree with whoever who said that the word Allah should not be restricted to just Muslims. It is after all a word..

Hajar Alwi said...

Most of my non-Muslim friends do refer to God as Allah as they're aware that it is the Arabic term and Muslims are commonly using it, thus I'm with Lisa, up till the kiwi lime cheesecake and ellen557. :)

xoxo, nadia said...

@ Asha: Thanks for your thoughts.

@ Hajar: I wonder what it would feel like for me, to hear my non muslim friends use the term Allah. I use God while talking to them but they dont use the term Allah. It's not something common in SE Asian countries. I think I'd feel very uncomfortable for awhile, before getting used to it. Thanks for sharing your experience and opinion.

Jazak Allah Khair.