At Singapore's Changi Airport, their security checks are so tight that after they scan your carry on luggage and make you walk through the metal detector, they stop you and wave their magic wand around your hijab, looking for little elves that may be hiding inside.
I have been through this numerous times and I wish they would go about doing it in a more discreet manner. Once, the security official shouted to her partner to quickly get the magic wand [I have no idea what it's real name really is] to scan my HEAD. On another occasion, I was pulled back after being cleared because I needed to have my scarf scanned.
I do not wear any sort of hair accessory that makes my head look disproportionate so no one ever suspects that I am hiding anything inside. Unfortunately, these officers are just doing their jobs listening to some higher power who thinks its necessary to scan people's heads.
Question: Wouldn't the metal detector detect if there was something metal under my hijab anyways? Also, what does the magic wand actually scan for?
Actually, come to think of it, I remember on my way for Umrah, at an airport ( I don't recall which), all the ladies were brought into a small room where a female security officer made us flip our hijabs over our heads and she made sure that there was nothing inside.
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Scanning the Hijab
Labels:
abaya,
Crazy people,
flying while muslim,
Hijab,
muslim,
sarcasm,
stereotype,
wardrobe malfunction
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
flipping over hijabs..haha..i dunno why i found it so funny!
~Cool Muslimah~
Assalam alaykum Cool Muslimah.
When it happened, it just felt terribly weird but now, it does seem like a pretty hilarious scenario. I mean, imagine a long line of women all queuing up just to flip their hijabs.
At least they had the decency to bring us into a private room :D
Oh man, when we were coming from the middle east back here. They made me take the pin from the side of my hijab and it fell off my head. I was sooo angry.
@ My Getaway: Oh, that sounds horrible! I don't know what I would do if my hijab actually fell off my head ):
I'm sure your pin was really tiny. I think security measures nowadays are kind of weird.
Post a Comment