En route to Singapore, on SIA...
Malay muslim flight attendant: Ma'am, can I offer you anything to drink? Coffee, tea, coke, orange juice or white wine?
Me: ?!! apple juice please.
It was Ramadhan, 230am and I had a sticker on the top of my seat, clearly indicating that I requested a Halal meal, as if the hijab is not enough proof that I am muslim. It's sad that the words just robotically escaped from her mouth and she did not stop just before offering me wine.
Of course she is just doing her job and she served me with a smile.
Maybe in her mind, she was contemplating whether she should ask about the wine seeing as to how she has served wine to other muslim passengers before.
On the flight from Dubai to Istanbul, there was an arab couple sitting just infront of us. Husband was in full thobe gear and wife was clad in niqab, baby in tow. Husband drank and drank and drank those alcoholic beverages. Yes, I stared because I had never seen anything like it. I poked my father and he told me not to stare :b
Monday, October 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Like you said, I think many Muslims do drink, despite wearing Islamic/Arab dress, so the flight attendant was probably just being polite :)
Lol yeees! It's so weird hey. I was in a hotel in Dubai, in niqab, and was informed that if I was requiring alcohol then I could get it free at such and such a time.
It really makes you wonder what they have seen.
@ cairo, lusaka, amsterdam: True, it just saddened me that perhaps she did think that I would be consuming alcohol.
@ ellen557: ??!! Are you kidding me? In niqab and they still offered you alcohol?? What is the world coming to...BTW, I hope Dubai was awesome.
yeah thats quite common. You cant really blame the flight attendant because a lot of muslim men and women ( in hijab/abaya n all that) do ask for alcoholic beverages.
most flights departing from saudi usually serve drinks around 2-3 hours after take-off and my god so many people wait for that moment
It is sad really
I get it alll the time on flights...sorry to say that my fellow Gulf bretheren do get a little thirsty when they're outta the kingdom. :(
@ whiteorchid: I remember that some airlines used to allow smoking on board their flights but now have changed their policy to No Smoking. I think it's time they look into No Alcohol Consumption as well. People get nasty and rude when they're drunk and cause major headaches for airline crews.
I was extremely sad when she asked me if I wanted wine. Insulted and sad...
@ ghostwriter: lol @ thirsty. Depressing really. We confuse everyone else around us. I mean, it's easy for non muslims to understand the concept of good and bad people in every religion but to see a fully covered woman/man drinking wine like there's no tomorrow not only confuses the non muslims but me too. by the way, i clicked on your link and read your blog for ages.
actually, thats really, really common. Ofcourse they will ask,r egardless of whether your in hejab or not because many, many, many Muslims who *look* like they are obviously Muslim do indeed drink alcohol and other things on flights. Its truely dispicable.
I'm sure that Niqabi lady was ashamed but couldnt say anything because here, in the Gulf there is the culture of don't butt into the husbands personal business. Men/husbands lead separate lives from their wives and heavens forbit the wife say anything or all heck breaks loose. Its really horrible the mentality. I'm sure he probably goes off to Thailand and does all kind of nasty stuff and his wife knows about it, but can't say or do anything about it!
Post a Comment