Sunday, August 30, 2009

Ramadan Day 8

The title of this post misleads the reader into thinking that I have been keeping a Ramadhan Diary. I have not. I could not find a suitable title to incorporate the 2 stories that I am going to blog about. You'll see...

This afternoon, my friend and I took a drive to Mill Point to enjoy the scenery. I stepped out of the car and watched as a lady walked onto the field with her huge black dog who began running around wildly. The dog ran towards a couple and was rather aggressive. The man tried to push the dog away, as its owner called out to it, unsuccessfully. The dog then ran around again before it spotted its next target. Me.
I took a few steps back, towards my friend. If not for my friend, I would have made the not-so-wise decision of running away but I stood rooted to the spot. The dog halted to a spot next to us and leapt up to pounce on me.
I was already whimpering like a baby and the minute I felt the dog pounce on me with its paws I just started bawling. No, Im not exaggerating when I say the dog is huge.
Maybe the dog got the idea that I wasn't into playing with it so it ran away and chased after the couple again, tackling the lady from the back and causing her to fall over. She then proceeded to shout at the dog owner, asking her why she didn't have her dog on a leash.
I walked back to the car, severely traumatised and my friend decided to tell the dog owner off for being irresponsible. The dog had started chasing after all the smaller dogs and annoying the other dog owners. After my friend gave the dog owner an ultimatum, she finally leashed her dog and the other dog owners were all thanking my friend.
I dislike dogs. I am afraid of dogs. But, I am afraid of cats too. I am afraid of all animals generally. Since young, I avoided animals because I had asthma and extremely sensitive skin. Besides, all my experiences with animals (cats and dogs) were unpleasant.
I don't hate dogs. I don't think that dogs shouldn't exist. What I do know is that if you're a dog owner and you know that your dog is huge and overly friendly, you should have it on a leash, even in a non-leashed area of the park. Otherwise, get the dog some training so that you have control over it and it actually listens to you.
I am going to try my very best to stay away from Mill Point. This is the 2nd unpleasant dog experience that I've had over there.




This evening, I got invited to an iftar at a friend's place. I knew before hand that it was going to be a mixed event (duh, because the friend who invited me is a guy, classmate from uni). But, I thought that they would have separate sitting areas for guys and girls. They didn't.
I was uncomfortable at the idea of going at first because I told him that I didn't know any girls there but he called me twice to invite me so I felt obliged. Also, I called a girl that I did know and she said she would be attending. She also said that she would leave before Isha' so that both of us can proceed to the musolla in Uni for Isha' and tarawih prayers.
I was one of the first people there and boy, was it awkward! There were 3 other girls. 2 of them didn't remember me even though I had met them before and 1 of them was someone I knew but was never close to.
At maghrib, there weren't many guests so I made polite conversation with the girl that I vaguely knew. She replied to all my questions but she gave closed answers. It seemed as though I was trying too hard to keep the conversation going and clearly, she was not going to be a willing participant.
Then they all prayed Maghrib without me...After I prayed Maghrib alone, I sat in my friend's room and played with my ipod. The next time I came out, the place was a full house. Guys and girls everywhere. I was much too shy to budge in and crowd around the table to get food so my friend helped me get some. He told me that he felt bad for me because I was feeling left out so he tried his best to include me. Unfortunately, his graciousness was mistaken for something else because a guy saw my friend helping me get food and made a statement that insinuated that something more was going on between the 2 of us.
I didn't like what I heard so again, I secluded myself in the room. I did try to talk to some girls but they all had their cliques and they all knew each other. No one wants to waste time talking to the newbie.
My girl friend finally arrived but she was too busy eating and catching up with her friends. Also, she made no move at Isha' and I realised that no one was headed to the Uni for tarawih. They were all going to do tarawih together in the house after iftar.
It seemed like the guys were always trying their best to include me but the girls didn't really give a damn. Finally, I made the decision to leave and the guys were all like "Aw Nadia come on, don't go yet. Come, I'll introduce you to the girls"
And I'm like "err, yeah you guys already did that. 3 times. Noone came to talk to me."
Lesson learnt: I am NEVER going to a mixed iftar again.
I am NEVER going to any event where I don't know someone.

And I leave you with this:

When there are three of you, one should not be left out while the other two share a secret, for this will cause him grief.

HADITH OF AHMAD IBN HANBAL
On the Authority of 'Abdullah Ibn 'Umar

3 comments:

Skye said...

salaamz sis
u poor thing,it sounds like u have had some bad luck wat a shame,that was silly of the dog owner alhamdulillah you are ok,and as for the people who left u out at the iftar that was just mean.. insha'allah next time it works out for u .. take care sis wsalaamz

Nur Amirah said...

Furry things scare me too. I hate it when I see owners letting their dogs roam free. Don't be sad, maybe the next one you go to will have lots of people you know. =)

xoxo, nadia said...

@ Skye: Dogs always come to me. I think they can sense the fear in me. About the iftar, I guess I'm not so upset about it anymore because these are people I will probably not see very often...
InshaAllah, I am never going to another iftar where I know that boys and girls will not be separated. It was very awkward.

@ Nur Amirah: Do you take the longer route just to avoid a dog? I do. ):