Friday
It was in the evening. I was on the phone talking to my friend in Melbourne. Then I heard someone knocking on the front door. I told my friend to stop talking and I waited for the knocks again. There weren't any. So I continued with my conversation.
But the knocks started and they became persistent and gradually moved from being classified as a 'knock' to 'banging on the door like they're trying to break it open'. What was weird was that I didn't hear anyone calling out.
I opened the door to my room to discover I was home alone!! This was where I started freaking out. I theorized that perhaps my housemate forgot her keys but then why didn't she call me? Oh yeah, I was on the phone but..if it was anyone who knew us, why didn't they call out our names?
I went back into my room and started rambling to my friend about how that was a crazy person outside my house trying to break the door down. My friend wanted me to dial 000 but I had my doubts so finally, I left my room again and called out 'Who is it?' from the 2nd floor.
A female voice answered 'Ummm...' and I said 'Yeah?' and she replied 'I think I got the wrong house...Sorry!'
I nearly fainted out of pure relief. But seriously, its just so weird how she went on banging on the door for nearly 20 minutes without ever saying anything!
Saturday
Again, knocks on the front door but this time I was not home alone. My housemate and I decided to keep really quiet. The person knocked about 5 times and then left in a white car (Yes, we peeked from my bedroom window). So after a while, my housemate decides to lock the screen door so that no one can knock on our front door when she discovered food placed at our doorstep. Weird. Noodles and soup. No note.
We decided that perhaps the same unlucky girl was still adamant that she had the right house and had mistakenly sent food to us. We didn't eat it because 1) Maybe it wasn't halal and 2) Maybe it was poisoned. Total paranoia, people.
Later on in the evening, my housemate received a text from a senior claiming responsibility for the food at the doorstep. Phew. At least we know that it was only 1 weirdo knocking on our door once.
Oh and I went to the Ramadhan expo thingy and bought some books and halal gummy bears. I haven't read any of the books but I have eaten the poor little teddies. Anyways, I got this little book with a collection of hadith inside. I think that's my favourite buy.
Sunday
I don't remember what I did.
Monday
No internet. HELLO. NO INTERNET. WHATTT?!!! We have a contract with Telstra but it is under our ex housemate's name and I have tried several times to change the name of the account holder but...yeah. Telstra cut our phone line so we didn't have a phone line and internet.
Anyways, my housemate tried to call Telstra but when the support staff asked for the name of the account holder, my housemate gave her my name as well as the ex housemate's name. The lady then asked my housemate for her name and then the lady went all like 'Sorry I cant help you because you gave me 3 names so I am suspicious and you're making me uncomfortable.'
Not her exact words but she did use 'Uncomfortable'. I really want to smack her.
Anyways, I tried my luck but I ended up talking to a damn machine for 15 minutes before I had had enough fo saying 'Yes' 'No' 'ADSL' and various other words to a machine who didn't understand what I was saying.
My housemate tried again and this time I talked. We were SOOO close to getting our complaint handled when credit on her mobile ran out.
So we were pissed and I skipped Uni so that we could head to the telstra shop in the city. Unfortunately, they didn't handle complaints but they did let us use their landline...We talked for TWO hours, and we were passed around. There was this philipino lady on the phone who was saying 'I can't access your account because it must be stored in the old system and I'm using the new system so I can't access your account. I will transfer you to the old system so that they can access your account because it is stored in the old system and I am using the new system so I can't access it'... Yes, she really did go round and round until I interrupted and said 'Yeah ok so can you just transfer us now?' Finally, they transferred me to this really nice lady who went through everything with me and handled all my requests.
Basically, Telstra has been sending the bills to the wrong address so we never got any and we didn't really realise that we hadn't paid the bills for 3 months. The problem is, when we first signed up, they managed to send the modem package to the right address but the system seems to have our old address as well as an address in Victoria. I know, they suck.
Also, they have been charging us $30 extra per month even though we were on a different plan. I managed to get $30 for 3 months and $5 for late fee credited to our account. Then we were transferred to a different department and I let my housemate talk for another hour. We were going to be charged $55 for reconnection fee and I was furious. It's not even our fault. They're the ones who cut the line DUH. So yeah, we got that charge cancelled too.
What I'm saying is that when I dial for technical support, I want to speak to a human being. I don't even care if the person has a funny accent (3's support is the best. they outsource to India and the staff are super friendly and helpful). I do not want to speak to a wonky machine who asks me stupid redundant questions and refuses to let me speak to a consultant.
Tuesday
I went to Uni. Phone line reconnected.
Wednesday
Internet reconnected. My housemate sent a long complaint to telstra and they deserve it. Before we signed up, many people said that Telstra wasn't good but we were swayed by their telemarketing skills. I am never recommending Telstra to anyone. Seriously, unless you get off on talking to a machine.
I admit I was being really aggressive and I may have come off pretty rude on the phone. But then, what do you expect when you provide poor service? You definitely won't get happy customers. Sometimes, I need to be mean to get things done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Ufff . . . . What a post !
well. . . Firstly, congrats for the gettin the connection back :) :)
mubaraka mubaraka :) :) :)
and yupps that banging does sound scary. . . And sensible gals . . Good that you didnt eat the food. . . Did you ask the senior why didnt he/she call out your name.?. And what was the food for ? :) newaz. . . You remember those guys who had visited your house for dawah probably. . They were strange too :) :) :) is it normal with everyone.?. Or are you specially designed to attract weirdos ?. :D :D even on blogger. . You have a reader who has a severe vocabulary problem :D :D
whats the secret dear ?. ?. :D
and well. . Me too hates it when i dont find a 'human' to talk to in the customer service department.
and my darling thank you so much for that little respect towards indians. We do have a strange funny accent, but thats a part of the deal. Instead of cursing us and making fun of us, 'people' should rather tell their own country men to 'charge less' for services . . So that the companies wouldn need to outsource to india. . . Huh!!
because you know the feeling of 'funny accents' is very mutual. Very very mutual.
newaz. Thank you dearie, you are the first person in the world who didnt curse us 4 r accent *hugs*
(even if that was coz you wanted humans instead of machines. . :p )
tatas :)
@ Almas: We're guessing that the senior was probably in a hurry so she just knocked and left the food.
Am I specially designed to attract weirdos? I think so. On our way back from the city after the whole fiasco, there was this arab guy who was sitting across the aisle in the same row as me in the bus. Each time I turned my head slightly to the left, he would turn his head to the right, make eye contact and smile at me. The first 2 times, I smiled back but after that, it just got creepy. The slightest movement I made would attract his attention. Even my housemate noticed this.
When we were getting ready to get off the bus, it looked like he was also going to get off! We were terrified. But, Alhamd lellah he didn't follow us although I couldn't resist glancing back just to make sure when we were already walking away from the bus stop.
The guy was also looking back at us from the bus!! Creepy hey?
Lol, I didn't mention anything about accents right? *checks post. One time, this Indian guy picked up and he had an Aussie accent. I was shocked and thought I was speaking to an Aussie in the India call centre...until he started reading out numbers and his true accent emerged.
Seriously, they are always sooo friendly, helpful and police. I never lose my patience with them. I can pull off a pretty good Indian accent myself but I can't do it when speaking Hindi ):
And, I love my Indian friends :D
ps. you don't have a severe vocab problem. lol
darn, i meant poliTe, not police. i can't spell.
This is the second incident I hear of about food being placed in front of the house door by an unknown person. Its even happened to me but luckily I didn't eat the food. An Ustaz I met warned me not to because...well, long story.
Great you didn't eat it. Thats all that matters.
Haha what a post! You must have been so relieved to find out that the women had the wrong door :P I wonder where that food came from? Good you didn't eat it.
@ Adib: We did eat the food after we found out that it was from a friend. What's the long story? share please!
@ Cairo, lusaka, amsterdam: Yes I was definitely relieved. But, I have come to expect weird things to happen on Fridays when people get drunk and let loose lol.
Salam sis you're tagged!
Post a Comment