Rasul Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wasallam) said: “There are indeed people who boast of their dead ancestors, but in the sight of Allah they are more contemptible than the black beetle that rolls a piece of dung with its nose. Behold, Allah has removed from you the arrogance of the time of jahiliyya (ignorance) with its boast of ancestral glories. Man is but an Allah-fearing believer or an unfortunate sinner. All people are the children of Adam, and Adam was created out of dust.” [Tirmidhi, Abu Dawud]
Nobody has any control over which family they are born into. Therefore, a person has no right to boast about that which they had no role in. Nor do the good or bad deeds of our ancestors have any bearing on our status with Allah (subhana wa ta’ala). Muslims are therefore told to shun these wrong criteria of status. What gives a person status with Allah (subhana wa ta’ala) is righteousness.
[Just a response to what I know about a person who likes to boast about being Arab and being from the same tribe as the Prophet. This person tells my brother these things with an air of arrogance but we all know he's just jealous because he can't speak a word of arabic and my brother can hold entire conversations in arabic.
Come on, if you drink and go clubbing then really, why are you boasting about such things? ]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I really like this post...it's so true!
I've had to listen to people boast about being arab for ages. How do they even know if they are really from the same tribe as the Prophet?!
@ Sarah: Thanks
@ Cairo, lusaka, amsterdam: I think only the insecure people would boast about their lineage because they have nothing else to be proud of yeah?
@ WhiteOrchid: Lol, I think if you want to boast about being arab, you should at least be aware of all/some things arab. I dont know about the tribe. Maybe they drew a family tree :b
Post a Comment