So, I have just received an email detailing statistics of applications for internships here in WA. It seems like the numbers are too great for the teaching hospitals to cope with and hence, no interstate or international graduates have been offered internships.
Interstate applications are considered next and lastly, international applications (even though they were trained in WA).
This is a big blow to my future plans because I have always wanted to do my internship here in WA. The University never mentioned this problem to us and we were always under the rosy impression that internships would be of no problem to us.
I have heard that doctors graduating from Australia are treated like 2nd class doctors in Singapore hospitals so I am never going back to that country. It is MY country but I don't see a future in that country. There aren't enough opportunities for the middle class and discrete discrimination exists.
I might consider doing my internship in another state but, if WA is experiencing this problem then the other states must be having it too. Another country maybe? But where? I have to start a whole new life in a new country on my own? ): I'm not willing to go through it again.
If I do have to go to a different country, I'm choosing a Muslim country. Don't know which yet but I hope the situation changes in a few years!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Ah....I didn't know bout the discrimination thing. Gosh. But it seems there's a lot of foreign doctors here in singapore. I study at the hospital so I see them around...
aww sis insha'allah it works out. And thankyou for your comments.
Go to a state with a bigger population like NSW (where you'd have to visit me, obviously hehehe), VIC or QLD. There'd definitely be something there.
I was going to tell you to come here, but I know you want to be in a Muslim country. How about UAE or Malaysia?
That really stinks that they lied to you like that. I am pretty disgusted with it, we DESPERATELY need doctors in the States sweetie, so please re-consider LOL. We need them because we're trying to get free healthcare, but there won't be enough doctors to pick up the load...Love you!
PS-I secretly want to meet up, that's why.
@ Nur Amirah: my cousin is a staff nurse at one of the teaching hospitals in singapore and she personally told me about how the foreign trained doctors coming home for an internship are bullied.
I dont disagree that there are many foreign doctors but Im really talking about those who are coming home right after obtaining their degree and are not quite qualified doctors.
@Skye: I hope it works out too and no worries, I love both your blogs!
@ ellen: Yes, my next best option is to move to another state and if i go to NSW, you will have no choice but to be my guide lol.
@ Yasemin: I've ruled out Malaysia for personal reasons. My dad also asked about Malaysia or Brunei but when I refused, he suggested NZ or the UAE. I'm going to try another state, before applying to the UAE. I would have applied to the US but my uncle who lives there is coming home for good this week so I wont have any relatives! But, I can always make loads of good friends. We'll see about it.
PS - I secretly want to meet you too, and pinch youssef's cheeks (if you let me)
Ah. I didn't know that. I'm secluded in 1 part of the hospital. Hahaha...Good luck with your internship....
@ Nur Amirah: which hospital are you at and what are you up to over there? (:
my internship isnt for years to come so i hope the situation changes soon!
I'm over at NUH. I'm bad at explaining thing, so I'll post a link to my course. http://www.np.edu.sg/lsct/courses/blt/Pages/default.aspx
Post a Comment