Monday, August 30, 2010

Is seafood halal?

I haven't done any reading about this topic yet but I have been told by someone that seafood is not halal. He thinks only fish and prawns are okay for us. Seafood like oysters, mussels, calamari etc are not okay because he says they don't have bones.

Is anyone able to clear up this matter about what can and cannot be eaten?


- iPhone blogging

5 comments:

ellen557 said...

I've only heard that squid is not halal and that the fish need scales... :S but I wouldn't really have a clue, I've just been eating prawns and normal fish because I can't figure it out lol!

ellen557 said...

No wait. That the fish can't have scales. Or can they? Oh I'm so confused now.

Unknown said...

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/1919/sea%20food

Rebekka @ Becky's Kaleidoscope said...

As far as I understand it all sea food is halal.
It's Jews that are not allowed to eat shellfish (crab, lobster etc.) and fish without scales or something like that.
And you're def allowed to eat fish with scales (such as salmon, tuna, trout etc.)

http://www.questionsonislam.com/index.php?s=show_qna&id=282

Anonymous said...

LOL you can eat fish only WITH scales. Trout, salmon, carpe, sandre, etc are ones with scales. You can find the list of fish with scales inshallah. And you can eat prawns.

Crabs, Lobsters are not allowed in most schools of thought in Islam as far as i know :/

Ahh.. I don't like them anyway.
I have a sea-animals phobia. Forget eating, i can't even look at them! :S