Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Ramadan feasts

So, have you been cooking all day and eating all night?

As students living without awesome moms to cook iftar, we usually cook a larger amount of one dish and eat the same dish for a few days in a row. Since I've been at a sleepover the past 4 days, I only rediscovered my food in the fridge this evening. I had old leftovers for iftar and it made me a little sick. The food wasn't bad, I guess it's just not fun to break your fast with old leftovers.

I am currently indulging in a mug of apple juice and an omelette.

I would fly back home just to have a meal cooked by mom.

Also, being out and about as a hijabi in Ramadan makes you a natural target for "Excuse me sister, what time is Maghrib?" by hungry uni boys who just collected their kebabs from the shop and are counting down the minutes til they can sip some lemonade, smoke half a pack of cigarettes and finish their kebabs.

6 comments:

ellen557 said...

Lol! Yeah my iftars haven't been very eventful, I've had pizza three or four times already eeeek. My husband isn't here hence no one to cook for so I semi understand!
I haven't had anyone ask me that but I have had sooooo many more salaams in this month than any other month. Alhamdulillah, it's nice to exchange salaams with people!
assalamu alaykum ;)

Anonymous said...

LOL what a cute post and an awesome blog! I actually have mommy making me yummy iftaar everyday so can't complain! Can't image iftaar without fresh food :/
May Allah SWT reward you for your patience!
Keep the Ramadan spirit alive :D

Salaams! <3

Unknown said...

Yes, having mum to cook is great. She never fails to wake up earlier than all of us, cooking different dishes according to what each family member prefers. The absence of anything makes us realize it's importance.

Saafir said...

Salaam Aleikum,

"Excuse me sister, what time is Maghrib?"

the best answer to such a Question is "Maghrib is at sunset" lol

However, that Question is kinda obvious, a Muslim is aware that we break fast at sunset unless

1. you are in Alaska where it is night all day and there is limited sunlight

2. or if its their first time fasting

I sound suspicious but that's the way i am...that's such an obvious Qs especially when it's from a hungry uni boy to a Muslimah

Unknown said...

...or you could answer the brothers with a vampire snarl. >-D

Anonymous said...

ASSALAMU ALAIKUM nadia.
i jumped here from ellen's blog.

i just gone through with some of your older and new posts...now my question is..

why you are so "great" sister in islam?.