Wednesday, July 28, 2010

troubled times

so recently my life has been plagued with several bad episodes but nevertheless, i pulled through just to be knocked down again this morning.
this time, it involves Uni. we have this huge research project coming up that carries into 4th year and at the start of the year, I was asked by 2 of my classmates (let's call them A and H) to be part of their group. I agreed.
unfortunately, the 2 of them were under the impression that we were supposed to be working in groups of 4 so recently, they asked a buddy of theirs (IM) to join the group.

this morning, the research project coordinator mentioned that only groups of 3 were allowed and pair work would only be granted for the 'leftover' students who were groupless.

perhaps IM didn't know that I was part of the group but he took that opportunity to reaffirm his group membership by telling H that he, H and A were going to work together. H agreed and I'm like WHOA. Are you guys actually ditching me when I'm seated right here in between the 2 of you??

H felt a little bad but what could he do? He mentioned that ok, we'll kick IM out and take you in but I said no because that won't solve the problem. Someone will still be groupless and even though I'm upset, it's not really IM's fault because H should have mentioned that I was part of the original 3.

So ok, I was feeling a little down and I had hurriedly sent SMSes to everyone I knew in the lecture hall asking if anyone needed a 3rd member. Unfortunately, everyone already filled their 3 spots.
I know that the project coordinator will help to pair me up with someone but I would have liked to work with my friends...

What made me feel worse though was when IM mentioned that he was going to have a piece of brownie at H's house. He then said to me that I should have given H and A brownies so that they would have chosen me instead. I'm like EXCUSE ME?! I baked those brownies and I gave it to them!!

I know this sounds petty and really childish but come on, you took my spot away from me and then you say something like that....anyone would have felt upset. Anyway, if I have to give someone brownies just to make them take me in then I think I can find better friends elsewhere.

I am not enjoying Uni at all right now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Not once did I ever work with a well cooperative group. There is always a bad apple in the group. What worries me most is being that bad apple. Sometimes I'm the one being pushed to be leader, and that makes things a lot more challenging. In the end, even if someone didn't do well in the group, being a leader would make you feel responsible for all the bad things.

Some things I'd like to keep in mind when in a group would be Cooperation & Communication. In the end, whatever problems there are would altogether go back to the issue C&C.

xoxo, nadia said...

Yes you are right, communication is a very important aspect of teamwork.

Thankfully, I have managed to find a partner for my project. I suggested that we split the essential readings in half because there are just way too many but she insisted in reading all of them.

Thus making me feel inadequate. But, the point of teamwork is to have the workload shared so I shall stick to reading my parts :)

I dislike delegating work so I am not a natural leader but I'm happy so long as I've done my part and put in my best effort for the team.