I've been wearing the abaya on a daily basis for close to a year now. I wear it to Uni, I've worn it on shopping trips, when I watched movies, walked on the sand at the beach, cultured bacteria in the lab, examined 4 different patients in less than 8 minutes each, I've worn the abaya to the market, I've even worn it to sleep when I was too tired to change. I went to work wearing the abaya, been on a fishing boat in an abaya and climbed to the top of a steep hill at Rockingham in an abaya.
My point is that the abaya has not restricted my daily activities in any way. I wear it because it is comfortable. It is worn loose and therefore provides modest coverage. That being said, the abaya is elegant and available in different colors and designs. Modest doesn't mean dull.
This past month has been difficult for me with people telling me to quit wearing the abaya. They tell me I am young so I should be wearing dresses or jeans. Apparently the abaya makes me look old, dull and fat. They think I am insecure about my body and this is why I hide it in the abaya. Some say that abaya is meant only for Arabs.
I never knew so many people could be so wrong about one thing.
I wear the abaya because firstly it is clothing that I feel best covers what needs to be covered (when worn appropriately) on a Muslim woman's body. Secondly it is extremely comfortable. Thirdly, most of my abaya are made from material that does not need ironing and for a busy university student, this is a dream come true.
These are my reasons for wearing the abaya. I know that I can also wear jeans and long tops but I choose not to.
So let them say what they want to. Their words hurt but I know what I want and I have every right to choose what I think is best for myself. After all, it is just a piece of garment and sometimes I wonder if these people have nothing else to fret about.
Wearing the abaya makes me feel happy and it sucks that people who supposedly care about me are trying to take this happiness from me.
- iPhone blogging
Friday, July 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
assalamualaikum nadia. kudos to you sis. when we understand why we choose to wear abaya instead of other type of decent and modest clothing, we just keep wearing it. years ago i wear different colours of abayat but since 2008, 90% of my abayat are black which I matched with black or coloured hijabs. no restriction at all in this abaya. those people who said those hurtful words, they don't know what they are missing.
Salamoualeikoum,
totally agree. I know sisters who thinks abayas are for the old women. It's not. It's for muslim women, surely more than jeans.
Aicha
Salaam Aleikum...
When you were mentioning all the places your abaya has 'taken' you, it reminded me of the signs of the End Time - when the haram is the halal and the halal is the haram.
***one of the signs is that women will be going to the market places with their thighs exposed
another example: touching of the opposite sex is Haram, hence i get many offers to shake hands or hug women as a form of saying "hello"...
upon my refusal to their offers they get infuriated and insist that everyone is doing it, why aren't i doing it?
lol
may Allah make it easy for us...Ameen
The same thing applies to my thobes as well. They are so much more comfier than wearing jeans and shirt.
I agree with you sis, I love abaya more than anything else.It makes us feel secure very2 much, alhamdulillah.
Post a Comment