Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Walking to Uni was like walking through a jungle. The underpass was flooded so I took a risk and ran across the highway. I held my abaya up by about an inch so that the branches won't tear a hole in my abaya, oblivious to the fact that anyone would even care that I was wearing jeans inside.
Suddenly, out of nowhere, someone jumped next to me and said, "Does Nadia wear jeans?!"

lol, there are a lot of misconceptions about hijab, abayas and what muslim women can and cannot wear. For example, I'm pretty sure she thinks I wear the hijab to sleep & shower. It must totally blow her mind that I actually don't wear the hijab 24/7.

Anyways, everyone in tutorial was complaining about cars and windows and leaks when my tutor piped up with "Perth is not prepared for any disaster. We will not survive a terrorist attack", causing some people to look my way. Great, just wonderful.

You know what though? Sometimes I feel like I've been stereotyped so many times that I actually victimize myself? Like maybe those people weren't looking at me in an accusatory way but I just felt it because it is what I have come to expect. I feel discriminated, even when in actuality, it may not have been the case.


Have you ever felt that way?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting post!

I can't seem to remember feeling what you're going through now, but I think I know what you mean.

So, Nadia wears jeans? O.o