Sunday, December 6, 2009

Another Chance

Assalam Alaykum.

I passed my exams and I will be entering my third year of university in 2010, in sha Allah if my financial situation works out. Thing is, I made du'a to pass, and I did but now I am learning that passing may not be the best thing for me. Being alone without a mahram wasn't working out very well for myself and now I will talk to my parents about not wanting to go back. But knowing my parents, I know I will be back there next year...

I know I sound terribly confused. At the start I sounded happy that I'm moving into third year but then now, I'm not so sure.

What I do know is that I have to prepare myself for another much tougher year. I don't have much support but I know that I can count on the support that I already have.

On another note, I decided to delete all males on MSN except the ones that I need to discuss school matters with.
I also deleted my facebook account because I got tired of reading status updates and people bitching about each other on that social network.

I'm having a go at memorizing all the short surahs in the Quran. I have little trouble remembering them but when I'm actually praying, I get stuck. But Alhamd lellah, I've found out that saying them out loud helps me remember initially but then I just got to repeat them again and again quietly to myself, until I can say it without counting off on the number of ayats to make sure that I didn't miss any.

6 comments:

Saafir said...

Salaam Aleikum,

Have u ever tried memorizing the Qur'an in the wee hours or after Fajr? it works for me everytime...and also i made a promise to memorize the whole Qur'an(another factor that drives me on)

I don't know about you, but it works best for me...Alhamdullillah
&
i will make dua for u...InshaAllah

xoxo, nadia said...

Wa Alaykum Assalam

Nope, never tried memorizing it during that time..I will try it In sha Allah.

I will make du'a for you to memorize the whole Quran In sha Allah.

Saafir said...

Salaam Aleikum,

do u have an mp3 player/ipod or something of such sort?

if you do then you have a great chance to memorizing more Surahs with ease...the trick to knowing this great Surahs is having them etched in your brain...

it worked for me, i downloaded some of the long Surahs and now i know them by heart just coz i was listening to them relentlessly over and over and over again

InshaAllah in Quest

Unknown said...

Yeah, theres a good tip for memorizing Qur'an. The long Surahs I remember are Surah Al Hujurat, Surah An Najm and Surah Al Mulk. I used to listen to the recitations over and over when I'm driving, taking a nap, going to sleep and working on projects. The only times when I turn the Qur'an off is when I enter the toilets, or when I need to give my full attention to something. It really works, alhamdulillah.

Wow, the things going on in your facebook is that bad? Usually I'd just click on the hide button if I don't want to see their status messages, but in any case I'd still want to keep in contact with as many people I know as possible because you'll never know which non-muslim ex-classmate decides to do more research on Islam just because I shared a Qur'anic recitation from Youtube.

I'll keep you in my du'as, inshaAllah.

Your bro in Islam
Wassalaam alaikum.

Unknown said...

I was digging through your blog specifically looking for this post because I wanted to share something related to your first paragraph.

We all know that we should obey our parents, as long as they don't conflict with Allah's orders. This is the common advice being given to our revert bros and sis facing challenges within their non Muslim family circle. Some forget that this advice would also suit the situation us born Muslims face everyday with our Muslim parents.

Realizing how I missed this point for years, I bashed my head on the wall thinking why I had obeyed things which I shouldn't have. I have now promised myself that I would stick to Allah's orders, and not compromise the easy religion Allah blessed me with just for my parent's sake. We Muslims will surely be strange, but we must be firm and make it clear to them what we really want in life.

Problems we are facing with our parents is also part of Jihad. When I read this post last year, I didn't really know what to comment, but I admired your efforts in this Deen so much. If you like, this post was so good that I was silenced on my first read. I'm interested to know how you'll be tackling more problems in the near future.

May Allah keep us firm in this Deen. Ameen!

sayyidah nafisah said...

Sakam alikom wr wb, thanks for all tips to memorise Quran.I ve been looking for it