Tuesday, January 12, 2010

When Race,Religion and Language Collide

Malaysia - A recent court ruling allowed a Catholic newspaper (by Malaysia's Roman Catholic Church) to use the term 'Allah' in its Malay Language edition, overturning a three year government ban on non-Muslims using the term 'Allah' in prayers and religious literature. The ruling ignited a series of arson attacks on churches. The government is appealing the verdict, citing that making the term 'Allah' synonymous with the term 'God' will lead to confusion among Muslims and may cause them to convert to Christianity.

Religious tension caused several government leaders to condemn the attacks as un-Islamic. Church leaders have also stepped up to deliver statements of forgiveness for the arsonists as well as to state that the attacks were done by extremists and do not represent the majority of Muslims in the nation.

(This is starting to read like a newspaper article.)

Firstly, I don't see why the Malay language edition of the newspaper HAS to use the term 'Allah'. When I write in Malay, I use other terms such as 'Tuhan' to represent God. The paper argues that many Arab Christians use the term 'Allah' but isn't Allah an Arabic word? So, wouldn't Arab Christians speak in their native tongue? Or am I wrong to assume that anyone would choose to use a term that they are most comfortable with? Arab Christians speak Arabic and use the term 'Allah'. Malaysian Christians speak Malay and use the term 'Tuhan'. Or not. Is it really that big a deal or am I being ignorant if I say that it's just a word and people should just live without fighting over it? I think I will research on this.

Secondly, I don't like the way the media has been sensationalising the situation in Malaysia. The Church leaders have been shown delivering messages of peace and tolerance to church goers while Muslim leaders have been shown shouting into loudhailers, protesting the ruling and proclaiming the court verdict as an attack against Islam. I am pretty sure that there's a Christian somewhere in Malaysia itching to burn down a mosque, just like there is a Muslim somewhere in Malaysia shaking his head in disgust at the arson attacks. News headlines read 'Another Church Attacked' with pictures of a badly damaged church. However, a few of the churches were hardly damaged and service continued. The same file picture was being used again and again even though it was a different church. Terrible representation.

What do all of you think? Should Malaysians live and let live? Or should they continue to protest until the court ruling is overturned?

* I do not condone any acts of violence nor do I tolerate insults to Islam.

6 comments:

Saafir said...

Salaam Aleikum,

I'm deeply against the Xtians using the name as they please as it is evident that they will make a mockery of the Oneness of Allah Ta'ala.
but the violence & looting is a waste of precious energy & time

(Surah 73: 9-12)

(He Alone is) the Lord of the east and the west, La ilaha illa Huwa. So take Him Alone as Wakil (Disposer of your affairs).
And be patient with what they say, and keep away from them in a good way.
And leave Me Alone to deal with the beliers, and those who are in possession of good things of life. And give them respite for a little while.
Verily, with Us are fetters (to bind them), and a raging Fire.


Unknown said...

Its simple as this. If they want to use the word then make sure they use it in the right way. If they use it to mention their idols then action must be taken. If they mean to use the name of Allah as our sole Creator, then that is fine.

Anonymous said...

@ Saafir: How do you mean, "make a mockery of the Oneness of Allah"? It sounds like the name Allah is used as another name for God, who created all things.

Also, we Christians believe God is One, yet He is in three different forms: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. It's a bit tricky to explain, but we firmly believe in one God, not several.

Blessings.

xoxo, nadia said...

@ Saafir & Adib: Wa alaykum Assalam. I strongly agree with your opinions.

@ Anneliese: Allah IS the One and Only God.
Christians believe in the Holy Trinity as you have mentioned. However, in Islam, Allah is One "He begets not, nor was He begotten. And there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him" 112:3-4
There is no Holy Trinity in Islam.
Thus, for Christians to use the term 'Allah' would be considered blasphemous.

This is my response, not Saafir's. You'll have to wait for him to be back. :)

Unknown said...

One thing is that Allah cannot be used to refer to what you call "your lord jesus christ" because Jesus is considered to be a creation of Him. Its blasphemous enough to put the three "forms" together to make one because He is unlike His creations. I believe that its wrong to make up a concept of 3 "forms" that Allah or Jesus had never mentioned about then call it a mystery of god.

Saafir said...

@ Anneliese

I did not notice that you presented a Qs to me. am sorry that i did not respond.

In me stating that the arabic name Allah will be misused is because Christians uphold the trinity...just as Nadia stated